M2 PRESSWIRE-21 October 2005-Infonetics Research Inc: Voice over Wireless LAN triples by 2007, says Infonetics study(C)1994-2005 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD
LONDON, UK - According to a new study by Infonetics Research, the number of organizations deploying voice over wireless LANs (WLAN) will triple over the next two years, from 10% now to 31% in 2007, driven by the growing availability of wireless VoIP handsets and voice-enabling wireless infrastructure.
The study, User Plans for Wireless LANs: North America 2005, is based on in-depth interviews with 240 small, medium, and large organizations using WLANs by 2006, including analysis of 5 vertical markets, as well as surveys of 450 organizations for WLAN adoption rates.
"Whilst increasing employee mobility and productivity are currently the top reasons for deploying WLANs, voice over WLAN is a growing driver and is potentially disruptive," said Infonetics Research analyst Richard Webb, who is based in London. "The traditional model of time- and distance-based pricing for voice calls is being eroded by VoIP, and as VoIP goes wireless, it presents an opportunity for enterprise users and a challenge for operators."
- WLAN adoption grows over the next 3 years; Infonetics projects 57% of small, 62% of medium, and 72% of large organizations in North America will use them by 2009
- The leading barriers to WLAN adoption are security and privacy
- Intranet or VPN access and Internet access for guests top the list of applications implemented over WLANs
- Wired LAN backup and Asset and RF ID tracking are already seen as promising applications
- 42% of respondents have a wireless policy that defines how employees can use the WLAN and other wireless technologies
- 44% deploy and manage their access points separately, without the use of WLAN switches; this approach declines by 2007, as centralized control architectures gain traction and the number of WLAN switch ports deployed grows significantly
Download study excerpts at www.info.infonetics.com. For sales, contact Larry Howard, vice president, at email@example.com or +1 (408) 583-3335.
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is the premier international market research and consulting firm specializing in data networking and telecom. Services include market share and forecasting, end-user survey research, service provider survey research, and service provider capex analysis.
CONTACT: Richard Webb, Directing Analyst, Wireless Broadband and Mobile, Infonetics Research, Inc.Tel: +44 (0)20 8290 1954e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
((M2 Communications Ltd disclaims all liability for information provided within M2 PressWIRE. Data prepared by named party/parties. Further information on M2 PressWIRE can be obtained at http://www.presswire.net on the world wide web. Inquiries to email@example.com)).
COPYRIGHT 2005 Ingram Investment Ltd.